Monday, April 10, 2017

Writer's Retreat

This past weekend, my husband and I went to a Writer's Retreat at a place called Ravenwood Castle, which is a delightful bed & breakfast out in the middle of some beautiful land. The Retreat itself was organized by a delightful woman, and all of us with children left them with either a spouse or a relative (Grandparents are *wonderful*! Gene had so many adventures with hers!)

There was a First Page workshop where we submitted the first page of a story and the other's said what was good and what needed work. I received some very nice feedback on one of my stories, and there was a *lot* of writing going on this weekend. *laughs* Everyone had a laptop and was pounding away at something. I also had a notepad I had picked up from the Dollar Tree because I needed something to start scribbling story ideas on.

The bad news about the retreat was that Saturday afternoon/evening, my laptop wasn't getting a charge from being plugged in, which meant that there's a small break somewhere in the cord, so I was racing the battery for a while until I started pulling the cord straight until I got the little icon that said the laptop was plugged in.

But at 11:45pm on Saturday night at a little over 40k words, I am proud to announce that my novel, "The Second Anniversary", was fully transcribed to my thumb drive. Last night, I transferred it to Google Drive and sent the link to my editor who did a first read through last night. So I have the first round of edits to do today, and then see if I can get a couple of beta readers lined up for a second look through.

Today, the plan is to get the first edits done, and tonight, I'm going to be putting together a home made light box for my various cover photos. Then, if I can find beta readers who can get it read in a timely manner, I may be announcing a release in a week or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment