Thursday, October 13, 2016

Writing Ramblings and Technique

I have to confess, that I was completely blown away by how many people actually bought my book the first weekend it was published. Compared to many, I made pennies, but I sold double digits worth of my story.

That's just flat out amazing to someone who hasn't really sold anything before. Of course, I haven't been resting on my bottom, waiting for the money to come rolling in. I've been busy working on the next few short stories while also pounding away at a novel that I hope people like.

Which is what surprises me the most about those sales. It means people like my little story enough to buy it.

I confess that I write things that I enjoy reading and not worrying too much about the "popular" market. I've got a couple of stories that are pure self indulgence while others make me giggle and grin as I write them, knowing that they're cotton candy fluff and I may never publish them because of that. Yes, I work on a lot of different stories at once because that's the easiest way for me to keep writing. I get stuck on a serious plot point of Story A, and I move to Novella B until I can figure it out enough to fix it or rewrite the plot to get rid of that point. Most of the time, I admit I scribble out various scenes and then string them together like pearls on a necklace, but often a story might suddenly take a left turn and render those later scenes useless. I've even rewritten scenes three or four times until they fit the current mood of the story. Then I just hope they continue to fit the story as I slide them into place.

So far, many of them seem to be working, and I enjoy stringing my little pearls together to make a story that I enjoy. I publish what I write in the hopes that others will enjoy it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment